09 March, 2008

Hairdos from Shop Seu and BettiePage Voyager



I thought I'd combine the Shop Seu and BP* hairdos in one post, because they have a pretty similar aesthetic. They're also pretty affordable for prim hair! For fairness' sake, I wore an outfit that was equal parts of each - the turtleneck is from Seu and the tartan skirt from BP* :)
If you've read the earlier blog entries, you've seen the Mitsuami Pompa hairdo from BP*, so you know BettiePage Voyager has mad skills. Her hairdos are simple, cute and funky. They don't have a lot of flex, but have nice levels of true-to-life detail in little flyaway hairs - looking at the temples, forehead and nape of the neck is always rewarding. I find this tremendously cute.
I saw Shop Seu hairdos around for months, mostly in Japanese sims, before I actually tracked down the source, and that was only thanks to a post on the Linden Lifestyles blog. The relief! They're also thoroughly cute, and great to wear when you want to kid yourself you're just as cool as a REAL Japanese girl.



Here's the 'okappa' hairstyle available at the BP* store. I'm not sure if the name is a reference to the odd Japanese folklore creature, the kappa, but those dudes have bald spots so I don't think so. This hairdo gives me a strong Ramona Quimby vibe, but it's also kind of Evey Eliot (although both of them had brown hair). It would look excellent with a flapper dress, and is also extremely charming with a girlish furisode kimono or colourful yukata.
It's not flexible, but this isn't really a problem when the style is a short, crisp bob.
That's all the BP* hair I have to show you today, but she has several other lovely styles, so I recommend that you go and have a look!




On to Shop Seu, and a little curiosity of the Japanese language. In English, onomatopoeia means words that imitate or evoke sounds, like splash, bang and toot. Japanese has onomatopoeia too, like doki-doki for a heartbeat, but they also have what you might call conceptual onomatopoeia, words that evoke rather than denote or describe things. In a manga comic, when a character blinks rapidly, 'piku-piku' may be written in as a 'sound' effect. 'Doki-doki' is equally used to evoke the way you feel when your heart beats rapidly. (They like to repeat these words.) There are onomatopoeia for textures too, hence this hairdo is called 'short mofumofu hair.' The closest I can come to rendering 'mofomofu' in English would be 'fluffy wuffy.' Just imagine how soft and fluffy these bunches would feel swishing against your cheek. They're flexible and bouncy and CUTE.




Here is the 'mitsuami' hairstyle, which as far as I can figure out (I don't speak Japanese), refers to the three strands of braids. This hairdo evokes Japanese girls of the past for me, although I can't put my finger on the decade or anything sensible like that. It reminds me of Hitomi's grandmother in The Vision of Escaflowne, okay? :) This is another one that looks great with a yukata. The little strands escaping from the plaits really make the style for me. It's not flexible. Depending on the shape and size of your avatar's face, this hairstyle can kind of cut into the sides of your cheeks, so you may want to make some adjustments when you wear it.




THIS is where all those chicks in Japanese vendor pictures got their hairdo. You're welcome. It's called 'yuruyuru odango hair.' Odango means a dumpling or bun, and yuruyuru has me stumped. Flexi strands flutter around your face and nape, but look a bit two-dimensional. This is my least favourite of the Seu hairdos, but it's kind of iconic.
I actually have slight buyer's remorse about this one. Oh well.




Finally, the long version of the mofumofu style, and oh, how mofumofu it is. Can't you just feel the softness from here? Pet your monitor screen. That's it. Softly flexible and very believable.

Ensemble details:
Shape, skin and eyes: as for first post.
Turtleneck: Shop Seu.
Tartan skirt: BP*
Shoes: 'Chloe' sculpted flats, Lassitude & Ennui. Yes, I do have a lot of their shoes.

No comments: